The quality of bunkers is an important issue in order to ensure a smooth operation of the ship.
- Ensure the fuel is suitable for the vessel´s engine and in compliance with engine makers´ guidelines
- Pay attention to fuel supplier´s terms and conditions of sale.
- Establish on board procedures for bunkering, sampling and testing and for reporting and documentation of irregularities.
- Do not use new bunkers until the analysis results have been received.
- Use testing services to identify problem fuels and collect evidence.
- Choose an experienced and independent laboratory for analysis of the bunker samples.
Christopher Fischer, Jonathan Lux, Bunkers – An Analysis of the Practical, Technical and Legal Issues